Law Office of Lawrence W. Novack
Palm Desert Divorce Lawyer Attorney Profile Family Law FAQ Contact Us
Learn how Lawrence Novack can help you. Why Choose Us? Click here to learn about the divorce process and what you should expect.

Palm Desert Relocation Attorney

Relocation & Divorce

Need an attorney for a relocation case in Palm Desert? When a family is separated or goes through a divorce, what happens when the custodial parent wants to move out of state? Sometimes the custodial parent is considering relocating for a new job, better medical treatment or in some cases just for personal needs. Move-away and relocation cases can become easily complicated, which is why the court typically only rules in favor of relocation if it is in the best interests of the child.

If the court permits them to move far away, then it could make things difficult for the child and the non-custodial parent to continue a relationship. In sensitive cases of this nature, you need an experienced Palm Desert divorce attorney to represent you in court. Here at the Law Office of Lawrence W. Novack, I represent both custodial parents and non-custodial parents in relocation cases. If you would like to move with your child, or you wish to prevent the custodial parent from relocating with your child, contact my firm today to discuss your case.

Looking to relocate after your divorce?

Let me help you with your relocation case. Tell me about your case and I will contact you as soon as possible.

California Law Regarding Relocation

As determined by the Supreme Court, custodial parents are not permitted to just pack up and decide to move with their children. The rights of the non-custodial parent and the interests of the child must be taken into consideration. When handling relocation and move-away cases in California, the court will look at several determining factors before making their decisions. The main factors include:

  • The impact that the move may have on the relationship between non-custodial parent and the children
  • Whether or not the move would be harmful to the children
  • Is the detriment enough to allow a change in custody
  • Whether or not the move is in the best interests of the children (moving schools, finances, medical care)
  • What is the motive of the custodial parent? (Are they doing it to benefit the children or to alienate the other parent?)

Overall the court will be looking to see if the custodial parent has a valid reason to relocate and that there may be a way for the noncustodial parent and the children to stay in contact after the move.

Typically if you are seeking to relocate with your children or you are trying to prevent relocation, the court will need to get involved either way. Back in the day, a parent was allowed to just pick up and move without seeking the court's permission. In today's society however, the custodial parent must seek to modify their existing child custody agreement and have it approved, before they can relocate. They must also give the noncustodial parent ample notice of their intentions to relocate with the children.

Seek Help from a Palm Desert Divorce Lawyer With Over 50 Years of Experience

Family law can become contentious and complicated when it comes to custody and relocation cases. I understand that every case is unique, which is why I offer my clients tailored and personalized service that is meant to meet their specific needs. Searching for an attorney for a relocation case in Palm Desert, CA? My firm is dedicated to helping families and parents throughout Palm Desert and Riverside County with all of their family law matters and I have extensive experience with move-away cases.

I can guide you step by step through your relocation case and help seek out evidence to support your claim. My firm can protect your rights and effectively make your desires known to the court so that you can obtain the most favorable outcome in your case. Whether you would like to settle your family law issue through mediation or aggressive trial litigation, I stand prepared to help.

Looking for a lawyer for a relocation case in Riverside County, CA? Contact my Palm Desert firm today at(760) 585-9065 to schedule a consultation so we can sit down and discuss your case.